Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Reviews?

Still trying to figure out the whole "what else should I blog about?" decision... It seems like I talk about life and awards shows. I promise that's not all that goes on in my head.

I've considered doing book reviews because I'm always trying to branch out in the genres I read. I'm hooked on thriller/murder mystery/political intrigue sort of stuff, but also whatever you might consider Malcolm Gladwell's genre to be (though he's a mutt when it comes to genre: there's sociology, psychology, pop culture, history... all thrown into his different books. I've read - and recommend - them all).

Perhaps I will start doing book reviews. I just have to find the time. Considering my to-do list is currently 74 (yes, 74) items long, I need to start crossing things off of it before I focus on anything else. I'd like to branch into some of the classics, such as James Joyce's Ulysses, Joseph Heller's Catch-22, and others.

I'd also like to start Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for about two months now, untouched. If that's any indication of how busy I am, I don't know what is.

Once summer vacation starts, I'm hoping to have secured an internship and read a lot more. Reading, for as long as I can remember, has been a part of who I am. My parents started reading to me when I was really, really young (probably when I was not even one yet). My mother enjoys telling the story of how my kindergarden teacher sent me to the principal's office because I was reading while the rest of the class was learning about a, an, and the. I also still razz my dad (jokingly, of course) that he would try to skip pages when reading to me before bed. (Is Wacky Wednesday really that long?)

So, this is where you come in, readers: What books are your go-to books? What are your favorites? I know I have a few that I can read time and time again and never get bored of. John Grisham's The Firm is just one of mine.

Now to start that to-do list...

[Cartoon from XKCD]

No comments:

Post a Comment