Thursday, December 15, 2011

Your mom goes to college

My room is a mess disaster zone. I have my last final due sometime tomorrow today. I've been a lazy bum all week, it seems. I have eight post-it note reminders on my desk. I feel as though I've done nothing productive. Two final grades are in so far. Eventually, I have closing duties to help with. Three last office hours. One last desk shift. Oh, and that disaster zone to attend to. Crap. I wonder what my boss from the Red Cross where I interned would say if I asked for help... She'd probably laugh at me.

Last year during finals week, I finished watching Lost. This finals week has resulted in me sleeping way more than I should, being anti-social with my residents (oops), and a general lack of giving a crap. Not good. Needless to say, I am more than ready for break to begin. I think I was ready whenever I got back from Thanksgiving break.

I've been talking to quite a few people about grad schools lately. Most recently, I talked to my former residence hall director who has since moved on to a different position at a different university. She asked me to tell her what I thought the things that either I think are good about it or what I think it'll be like. Yay Facebook chat (when it works, that is).

I said, "Well, I've realized I really like working with the students, which is why I want to focus on res life (or possibly career counseling on the higher ed level or admissions), the interactions and helping students really learn about themselves and achieving what they are really interested in just makes me happy that somehow, I've been a part of that process."  True story.  I love this stuff.  Sometimes, my job seems like a thankless environment. But then there are those days where my residents really do appreciate what I do, and it means the world to me.
Yes, Kip, my mom *does* go to college.

A few minutes ago, I was talking to a friend who is a former CA (same thing as an RA, but different title) from my school about how I want to go somewhere new for grad school. I've lived in the same county for 21 years... my whole life. I go to school half an hour from home. My mom attends the same school (she's a second year grad student this year). My mom is amazing. And, yes, I realize how biased that is.

As we were chatting, he said something that perfectly sums up how I'm feeling about grad school, moving on, dealing with change, etc.:

"I'm scared of change but get bored with the current, odd eh?"

I immediately connected with these words.  I'm looking at grad schools that range in distance from 2 hours from home to 14 to on the other side of the country.  I suppose now it's time that I focus on what's really important to me, and everything else will fall into place.  Only time will tell... And I'm excited to see what's going to happen next.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your semester is winding down, and hope that you have a wonderful holiday break! As for the grad school thing…I was in a similar situation not long ago. I looked at my acceptance offers, and then choose the school that had the best fit for my long-term goals and a good financial aid package. It happened to be 20 hours away from where I have lived all of my life. I can’t say that I regret moving…But at the same time, it really sucks sometimes. Being away from family and friends, not having someone to take care of your car’s oil change, building a new social network….It takes a lot of adjusting. And, the other bad thing is that relocating is EXPENSIVE. Moving itself, the cost of buying things you need for your apartment, travel expenses for visits home…It adds up quickly. So, I guess that everyone just has to weigh their pros and cons. Also, just a thing to keep in mind…Most student affairs programs require some type of practicum. Would it be possible to do a program far away from home, but move back for a semester or year for a practicum closer to home? Or, if you end up going to school close to home, could you move to a cool city for a short time and do your practicum at a big university? I don’t know if you had ever considered that, but it might be worth looking into as you select your top choice schools. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey: Thanks!

    Janet: All of the schools I'm looking at offer graduate assistantships, which is an important factor for me because I want to help pay as much as I can. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get an assistantship in housing to take care of the housing issue (not to sound redundant or anything, haha). I've not considered the practicum aspect really, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for all of the input and advice!

    ReplyDelete