Monday, October 14, 2013

Sleep? What's that?

Ever have one of those days where all you want to do is cuddle up into a blanket cocoon with a book or a best friend?  The past week and a half or so has been like that for me, and I'm lucky enough to be dating my best friend, so I don't think he'd object to the cuddling part.  I know I wouldn't.

Since my last update, life has been kinda busy...
- I've been working as a counseling intern with 5th and 6th grade students since late August twice a week;
- I work on campus three days a week, and have 1 or 2 classes on two of those days;
- I also work part-time on the weekends;
- And I have an online class, a boyfriend I only see once a week (and we both hate how little we get to see each other), a family I feel like I rarely see despite living with them, and am the president of a campus-wide organization.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the students I work with on a regular basis, enjoy the teachers, staff, and counselor immensely, and am learning a LOT about what I'll be getting myself into once I graduate (is it May 9 yet...?  Yes, I'm counting down the days - don't judge).  The kids I work with are pretty great and sometimes I'm afraid they're going to run me over in the hall or after lunch, but like any pre-adolescent/pre-teen, they have family stuff.  Friend stuff.  Stuff I never thought I'd work with, but that's part of what I'm studying.  Learning to be the best counselor I can for these kids, and those that I'll be working with in the spring.

But I'm exhausted.  Mentally and physically.  And sometimes emotionally.  I had to go to MedExpress the other day after working with the kids simply because I don't have time to go to my actual doctor for a long overdue corticosteroid shot and prescription.  However, I do think they did more for me than my regular doctor would have, so there's that, even with a shot in the butt.  (Don't get me wrong, he's a good guy, but appointments take all of 30 seconds it seems.)

Keeping myself organized has definitely helped me this semester with everything going on.  I register for my final semester of my Master's program in a week (holy shit).  I'm taking an online class, 600 hours of internship, and a Substance Abuse course with one of my favorite professors.  This winter, I'll be working 40 hours a week, but saving as much as I can because as soon as I graduate, I'll be relocating to wherever Vic happens to relocate...I've lived in the same area for 23 years.  It's time for a change, and I'm looking forward to spending more than 2 hours a week with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment