Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fire Drills and Friends


Well, I figured it was time for another update.

I only had one class today, but it was still an incredibly busy day (not that every other day isn't, but today's was especially). I got up, yada yada yada, had breakfast, sat in the office for 2 hours (though I was actually quite productive for those 2 hours. I got all of the information done for my next bulletin board done!)...

Because I didn't have class, and all the other CAs were around, we had a mini staff meeting. It was pretty amusing. Our GA got two strikes, and a fellow CA got one. I got two pluses. Of course, these strikes and pluses don't really mean anything (we don't get fired if we get three strikes and stuff like that), but it was all in good fun.

So, after our mini meeting, I printed off my paper for my psych class, and then went off to class. I walked in with my friend, and we sat down. Our professor walked in a few minutes before class started... And I started laughing. Our prof's hair looked like she'd stuck a fork in an electrical outlet. Now, generally, I'm a very nice person. I get along with just about everyone (students, profs, staff, etc.), but it was all I could do to not laugh. I felt bad... But it was kinda hilarious.

But after class, I signed up to be a notetaker for one of my classes... Yes, getting paid to take notes? Could it be any easier? I think not! :D

>>Fast forward to 8:00>>

So, it's about 5 til 8. As always, Pandora is open in one tab, my email in another, and I'm flipping back and forth between an Intro to Business powerpoint and the outline I'm creating from it. (Of course, I'm also texting a few people while doing this. Being a CA teaches you great time management skills and balancing multiple things at once.)

All is going well, the music is great, and then all of a sudden, I hear this deafening squawk... the dreaded fire alarm. Okay, sure fire alarms in high school were loud, but in college... they are just so much louder. Accompany that with strobelight-like lights flashing everywhere. Yup, college fire drills are a madhouse.

Also, keep in mind, usually my res hall director and/or Public Safety (our campus police officers) will let us know a day or two in advance that we're having a fire drill. This one...? Definitely not announced.

Good thing I already had my shoes still on. I grabbed my keys and cell phone, and skurried out the front door. My res hall director was already out there, as were 2 of my fellow CAs. A Public Safety officer and our fire safety guy (I don't remember his exact title) were also there.

After I got out there, my RD handed me a key, and told me to go check the 3rd floor for any residents who didn't get out yet (it was just a drill). I go back into the building, push through a ton of people on the stairs going out (who were wondering what the hell I was doing), and then finally got to the third floor. I took about 7 seconds a room (3 of which were getting the door open. The master key was a little persnickety.

I didn't find any residents or items of interest in my quick peek in... except for a blow up doll in one room that made me of Quagmire from Family Guy.

But anywho... After my fire drill, I got a text from a friend asking if he could print stuff in my res hall, so I said sure. I always love catching up with friends. We BS'd for a while, cracked some jokes about the most random of topics, discussed some cherry flavored alcohol that I think sounds repulsive, and the nastiness that is Chef Boyardee. Haha.

So, that was my Wednesday. It's now 12:56 AM on Thursday. Sad to say, this is the latest I think I've stayed up all week. I crashed around 11 last night.

But now, in the words of John Lennon (whose killer was denied parole AGAIN the other day ... yay!),

Now it's time to say good night/Good night Sleep tight/Now the sun turns out his light/Good night Sleep tight/Dream sweet dreams for me/Dream sweet dreams for you.

Close your eyes and I'll close mine/Good night Sleep tight/Now the moon begins to shine/Good night Sleep tight/Dream sweet dreams for me/Dream sweet dreams for you.

Close your eyes and I'll close mine/Good night Sleep tight/Now the sun turns out his light/Good night Sleep tight/Dream sweet dreams for me/Dream sweet dreams for you.

Good night Good night Everybody/Everybody everywhere/Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment