Sunday, August 29, 2010

2010 Emmys

Well, on July 8, the day the Emmy award nominations went live, I chose my winners. Of course, like those Americans not watching the Pittsburgh Steelers game, I watched the Emmys. Granted, it was in bits and pieces because of being on call, but alas, I won some and lost some. So these are my picks, the actual winners, and a few rants and raves along the way. Buckle your seatbelts and click your helmets, because here we go.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
My Vote: Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Winner: Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Rant/Rave: I can't complain about this one. I adore Jim Parsons, and he's absolutely fabulous on The Big Bang Theory

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
My Vote: Toni Collette, United States of Tara
Winner: Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Rant/Rave: Granted, I've never seen either of these shows, I'm just a fan of Toni Collette

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
My Vote: Matthew Fox, Lost
Winner: Ryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Rant/Rave: My friend Shane put it best, "I was rooting for [Michael] Emerson. His acting is awesome. FUCK BREAKING BAD."

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
My Vote: Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
Winner: Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Rant/Rave: Uh, WTF. Mariska always wins for this in my book, hands down.

Outstanding Comedy Series
My Vote: Modern Family
Winner: Modern Family
Rant/Rave: Before you ask, I didn't vote for Glee because I don't classify it as a comedy.

Outstanding Drama Series
My Vote: Lost
Winner: Mad Men
Rant/Rave: In June, a friend recommended Lost to me. I'd only seen the first episode until then... Well, suffice to say, I finished fifty-three episodes in a period of a month. However, I'm slipping because I'm only on episode 3.10, because I wanted to rewatch episodes 3.08-3.10 before I continued. (Subsequent blog posts about Lost will occur, I'm sure) ... And, of course, Lost should have won. Grr.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie: Al Pacino, You Don't Know Jack
- Well, what is there to say? I didn't see this (due to the fact I don't have HBO), though, from the previews, it looks intriguing. I also don't think that Pacino was expecting to win because his speech was sort of shaky.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie: Claire Danes, Temple Grandin
- I've read some of Dr. Grandin's work, and I find Danes to be a multi-faceted actress, so this role seemed to suit her. Again, it was on HBO, which means I'll have to rent the movie.

Outstanding Made for Television Movie: Temple Grandin
- Wow. TG is cleaning up. And I have no idea who gave the acceptance speech, but it was absolutely fabulous. And, yes, happy birthday, Temple!

Some other side notes...
- Because I was on a round, I didn't see the montage of shows that ended. And from what I've been told, it was a good thing because it reveals 3 essential season 6 plot pillars for Lost.
- Betty White is still the epitome of awesome. She totally deserved the win for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series.
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series went to Neil Patrick Harris for Glee. I like NPH, and I'm a casual fan of Glee... But I still don't see how it's a comedy series. It's really a mix of genres.
- Outanding Commercial went to "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like: Old Spice Body Wash." All I'm going to say is that if you've noot seen this commercial, you need to YouTube it right now. (And as always, I'm verbing nouns)
- I guess Lost did win one award. But only one is really depressing.

...And thus concludes my rants and raves. Thoughts?

Comments = always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment