Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lost (and found) in Pittsburgh

During the last few weeks of my internship, I've been fighting the urge to take a day to explore what I can of Pittsburgh, within reason (and, of course, getting back to make sure I make the bus on time). With a little nudging from a friend, I decided today, August 2, was going to be that day. As I sipped on my coffee, I Googled directions to various places that seemed to be within walking distance: the science center, an art museum, and a few other locations.

I originally settled on just walking around, taking pictures, and having an awesome time.  It's also a good thing I was wearing the comfier of my two pairs of shoes that I packed this week. So, after mapping out some directions, I set out to find my way to the Andy Warhol museum. Now... anybody who knows just a little about me knows that I am, for the most part, hopelessly directionally challenged. However, I scribbled down some directions from Starbucks to an ATM and then onward to the museum. I figured, why not? I've wanted to do this for a while, and I can make up hours over the next two days.

Not surprisingly, I got distracted... by a toy store of all things. When I was somewhere between the ages of seven and nine, my parents took me to this toy store. Of course, when you're seven year old me, standing at around 4 feet tall (or so), this place is pure magic. (When you're twenty one year old, five foot two me... it doesn't change a thing).

Anyhow, I meandered around the toy store. A gentleman approached me, who I assume is the manager, and told me I was a day late. This confused me, and I suppose the expression on my face said it all. "You're late," he explained, "because Christopher Nolan and his family were in yesterday." How cool is that?! Not only is the new Batman movie being filmed here, but Christopher Nolan himself is frequenting Pittsburgh places. So, I continued to walk around the store. As it turns out, one of the ladies who rides my bus into Pittsburgh every day works there. It's a small world, dear readers.

After buying a new game at the toy store, I decided to go next door to the library. I'm easily swayed into going everywhere and anywhere with books. So, I decided I'd go in, edit the directions I'd found, and then head to the museum. As it turns out, you need a library card with the county library system to use the wireless. I walked back up the stairs to the circulation desk, and asked to apply for a library card. Little did I realize, you have to pay $30 for a library card. $30?! What do I look like, a college kid who has money? I think not, sir.

So, not one to be turned down, I asked if they could look up my mom's library card. As my luck would have it, they said no. However, my friend (who is the one who prodded me into this journey) has a library card, and she texted me her card number. And for that, I am eternally grateful. (Side note: if I had had one of the four library cards I already have ... yes, I have four ... the $30 fee would have been waived).

But anyhow, I changed my directions, did a little internet searching, email checking, and discussion board writing, and then was on my way. So, as always, I got lost on the way to the Andy Warhol museum (surprise, surprise). However, it's a pretty cool museum. I'm glad I went. So, after walking around the museum and making my way back to Starbucks where I'm typing this from, I probably looked like a hot mess. Oh, well.

What's life without adventure?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the adventure :) And I totally get what you mean about having to leave your internship...I am really dreading this Friday when mine is over with :(

    PS. Thanks for stopping by my blog...I don't know what I would do without an oven! I would probably go into some sort of withdrawal :)

    ReplyDelete