Thursday, August 26, 2010

The freshmen are coming! The freshmen are coming!

Well, today was freshmen move-in day. What a day.

I helped people find parking spots, told people they had 15 minutes to unload their vehicles (much to their dismay), and saw hordes of pink, purple, green, blue, orange, and every other color imaginable unloaded. The price of Ramen stock must do really, really well during this time of year.

I saw fridges that were at least 3x time the size of mine, toasters that I told people weren't allowed, and people carrying in more pairs of shoes than I have on campus.

It was an experience to say the very least. I can't imagine what my res hall's trash rooms look like right now, and honestly, I'm a little terrified. Granted, it's insane during move-out as well, but who knows right now. I may venture down a little later.

I also got to experience my first Detex alarm. Of course, being a newbie, I had no idea what to do. So, I called Public Safety. The receptionist there explained to me what to do. (Turn the master key until it goes off). And for those of you who don't know what a Detex alarm is... Well, be glad. It's the alarm that goes off when somebody goes out the door that is clearly marked "Emergency Exit Only." It's a really whiney, annoying alarm. Not fun.

But the receptionist was awesome, and I actually went down afterwards to thank her. (Well, that and she wanted my cell phone number in case something would happen in the future).

Now all that's left is to have a few more people move in sporadically over the weekend, and classes start Monday. I'm having my first floor meeting on Wednesday, and hoping it goes well. I sent all of my residents an e-mail about it, and there will be signage.

Like I've told a few people, if someone had told me 3 years ago that I'd be in this position, I would have honestly scoffed at the thought and laughed in their face. However, now that I've gone through training, had some frank conversations with a friend about the job and his advice for it, I can't imagine not doing this. It's already taught me so much about myself... And I'm so excited to learn more.

A new chapter of my life is being written, and I for one, can't wait to see what happens. It sort of feels like a choose-your-own adventure book, the only difference being I'm both a character and the author in a sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment