Sunday, June 26, 2011

College searches

It's begun. My younger brother has started to look at schools. And it's part terrifying, part amusing.

The terrifying part is two-, three-, maybe even tenfold. Scary for me because I can't believe my youngest brother, my only sibling, is going to be a senior in high school (which means I'm going to be a senior in college).

17 years ago, I was actually taller than my younger brother.

Scary because, if all pans out how it may, he'll be leaving home and I'll (more than likely) be moving back in. Admittedly, I have a love/hate relationship with the notion of moving back in with my parents. On the upside, it means a free place to stay, meals, and laundry. Always a plus.

On the other side, living with my parents could have its negatives. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, but sometimes enough is enough. Living alone last year as a CA, while it might have been lonely at times, there was always someone to see or say hi to. And it was oddly freeing to live alone.

Anyhow, back to the college search... Greg (the aforementioned sibling) is being, in my mind, overly particular about where he wants to go. This is the amusing part, at least to me.

"I want to stay in state." (He's set on this one... I looked at out of state schools, but didn't apply to any. And you know what? I'm glad. Going to CalU has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Seriously. Maybe that'll be another post: learning beyond the classroom, and what CalU has taught me about life.)

"These scores are higher than mine." (You'll have that. My SAT and ACT scores weren't the most glamorous. I didn't have a rocket scientist's GPA. And I'm finally okay with that. Apart from my freshman year of college, I've turned it around.)

"Why would they list a program that's not offered anymore?" (Because schools don't like updating their website. Case in point: I saw a class that looked really interesting and wanted to take it. I happened to go to an event on campus where a prof from that department was also in attendance. We got to talking and I asked about the class... Apparently, it hasn't been offered in nearly five years.)

"How far is Indiana?" (I don't know, Google it.)

"What does *that* mean?" (Uhhh... no idea.)

At the present, who knows where he'll wind up. All I know is that it's going to be a very interesting year...

1 comment:

  1. I hate when younger siblings get all grown up and leave home. My little sister is at her college orientation this week. Eek! I am nervous for her, even though she really doesn't need anyone being a nervous ninny over her for no reason.

    ReplyDelete