Friday, October 12, 2012

The Pursuit of Happiness

Thomas Jefferson wrote about it in the Declaration of Independence.

Christopher Gardner wrote about it in a book that became an award winning movie.

A friend texted me at midnight, "I'm glad you've found happiness."

In the movie of the same name, Will Smith as Christopher Gardner says, "And I remember thinking how did he [Jefferson] know to put the pursuit part in there?  That maybe happiness is something that we can only pursue and maybe we can actually never have it."

But is there truly a pursuit to happiness?  Can we actually have it or do we really have to pursue it?  I don't think it's a pursuit.  Sure, happiness can be a lifelong journey, but if you spend your whole life looking for it, you'll be disappointed.

Happiness isn't having everything you dreamed you would.  It isn't leading a perfect life.  It isn't being a perfect person.  Perfection is impossible to achieve.  Happiness, I believe, is.  It's a culmination of all of those things that make us who we are and what gets us out of bed in the morning.

I am pursuing a Master of Education degree in a field that appeals to me more than I realized.  I'm employed by the university I attend.  My job is nowhere near perfect.  I feel burned out by it on some days, but it has its rewarding days, though.  I have an awesome family.  My friends are absolutely wonderful.

I'm dating the most incredible guy in the world, who I love more than anything.  My life is nowhere near perfect, but knowing that there are people in my life who care about me as much as I care about them, support my ventures, and are there for me as I am for them...

That's happiness.  It's not having the best of everything, it's making the best of what is given and appreciating it.

2 comments:

  1. This is a good reminder for anyone who might've lost perspective. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your optimistic attitude. Happiness really can be a matter of perspective, by finding things you already have to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete