Monday, September 12, 2011

It's all Greek to me

I was recently (read: within the past week) invited to join an honors fraternity at school. The requirements were having at least 2 semesters of school left and an overall GPA of at least 3.0. Up until last semester (the latter half of my junior year), I never even saw a 3.0 GPA overall. I was close, but still far. (I even made the Dean's List for the first time last semester!)

Those of you who've read past entries in my blog (specifically, this one) know that my first year of college, and parts of my second, were absolutely awful. I won't rehash what I've already written there, because that time in my life is over... And for that, I am thankful. It's taken me until now to realize how unhappy I was in school. Now, though, it's getting better.

I've decided against accepting the invitation to join the group. Though a few of my friends are in the group, I don't think it's for me. I love being with and around people, but I have that every day in my job at school... And I love it. I just don't have time to balance something else among the various other groups I'm involved with.

As I've told a few friends, the closest I'll go to "going Greek" is joining Psi Chi (the psychology honors group). Ironically enough, I don't think I'll have the overall GPA necessary (3.25) to get in. However, I do meet the eligibility requirements to be inducted into Pi Gamma Mu, which is an honors group for the social sciences. Woo hoo!

After being *this* close to almost getting into the Latin honors group in high school, I've always wanted honors cords... Does that make me a bad person?

I'm not trying to make this a debate of why one should or shouldn't pledge to a fraternity/sorority/NPHC group, but just why I'm not. Though, I'll never forget my psychology teacher in high school saying that joining a sorority is like paying for friends.

I was going to end the entry with the above paragraph, but then I saw this online and had to add it. I don't care who you are, if you're in a sorority, fraternity, etc. or not, but this is simply unhuman. How someone could do this to another person is beyond me. The video is disturbing... how could you not help a fellow person? (And people wonder why my faith in humanity is seriously lacking.)

Link to video:  http://www.twitvid.com/WNFW5


No comments:

Post a Comment