Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Trip Down Memory Lane...

Earlier today, I decided to take a walk around the small town where I currently live, eat, sleep, work, and go to college. After finding Quizno's to be closed for the day and giving someone directions to the football stadium, I found my way back to my room... But not before my mom called me, asking for help with a crossword.  I love when she calls (or anyone in my family for that matter); even if we do go to the same school, I only see her a few times a week, sometimes less.

Anyhow... I didn't know the answer to her crossword, but told her I'd try to look it up.  I decided to look on Amazon, just out of the curiosity that the answer may be there (it was about a book).  I haven't been able to find it (and she hasn't called either), but I came across a book series that enthralled me as a third or fourth grader:  The Royal Diaries.  They're a series of books about, well, royalty.  The ones that I remember most are Anastasia (I've always had a fascination with her story... I once had a pet duck. I don't know if it was a male or female duck, but it was named Anastasia.), Cleopatra (I also had a year where I was obsessed with anything and everything Egypt related. Probably because my aunt lived there for 4 years.), and Catherine.

The rabbit hole of my childhood goes deeper and deeper every time I read something new, watch something on TV, have a conversation with a friend, etc. (and, yes, I love Alice in Wonderland. I was even in the play in 8th grade. I had one line.)

The Popsnorkles
Other things that always stick out in my mind about my childhood are various, ranging from setting up the remote controlled car track I got for Christmas one year to watching Reading Rainbow. To this day, the one episode of that show I remember most is the one where the book "The Toothgnasher Superflash" is read. In a sentence, the book is about the Popsnorkle family and their desire to find a new car for their family, and they get the Toothgnasher Superflash. I even remember the animation of the little Popsnorkle kids in the backseat. It's funny what you can remember.

Nearly every time I go onto Amazon, I always check what daily recommendations it has... Sometimes, they're speech pathology related (I buy my mom's textbooks for her... and today, the first two pages were nothing but SLP books, and Big Bang Theory, seasons 1-5), but often, there are some pretty funny ones. Some of the ones that stick out most are Sailor Moon (which I've never watched), Cougar Town (which I have also never watched), and a Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock t-shirt.

I suspect that I was suggested a lot of 'older' TV shows because I wish-listed the 90s show Ghost Writer. Not gonna lie, that show was awesome. So, with that, I leave you with the video of the title flash of that show. (And please tell me that at least one of you remembers this show.)


Sheldon Turnipseed = Bad ass name.

3 comments:

  1. O i loved the Royal Diaries series! I honestly loved all of those diary books, especially the historical fiction ones! And I agree, Cleopatra, Anastasia and Catherine were definitely the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly can say that I do not remember Ghost Writer, I mean it sounds familiar but not enough to recollect any memories. However, I did have some of my own favorite shows that from time to time take me back down memory lane. So I still understand where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghost Writer rings a bell. I think it is because I watched it with one of my sons on PBS. Can't say I remember more about it.

    There are a lot of shows I remember and always expect to see them on TV Land or something...never do though. Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete