Monday, May 28, 2012

On (not) working and reading

So far this summer, beyond graduating from college, traveling to DC, spending time with friends and family, and meeting Vic's parents (who are so sweet and funny), I've been reading and not working. Granted, it's been sort of nice to have some time off, but now it's just...dare I say, a tad boring? Having some sort of income would be nice, as I'm trying to save money for a new laptop (it's cheaper to get an all-new computer instead of repairing the one I currently have), as well as grad school tuition, books, and an apartment.

(And, yes, I realize that tuition, books, and apartment are pending acceptance into grad school with is pending on taking the MAT on Thursday and getting all of my letters of recommendation in. I'm still waiting for one more. Which is really, really aggravating.)

Anyhow. The following is a list of books I'm hoping to read over this summer. Suggestions are always welcome and if you've read any of them, I'd love to discuss them with you.

- Imagine: How Creativity Works (Jonah Lehrer)
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Cheryl Strayed)
- An Abundance of Katherines (John Green)
- The Hunt for Red October (Tom Clancy)
- The Recursive Mind (Michael C. Corballis)
- Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
- Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
- Stranger in a Strange Land (William Golding)
- Dune (Frank Herbert)
- 11/22/63 (Stephen King)
- The Shining (Stephen King)
- Freakonomics (Stephen D. Levitt)
- The Pilgrim's Regress (C.S. Lewis)
- The English Patient (Michael Ondaajte)
- Freud on Madison Avenue (Lawrence K. Samuel)
- The Believing Brain (Michael Shermer)
- The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
- The Good Among the Great (Donald Van de Mark)
- The Book Thief (Markus Zuzak)
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (Susan Cain)
- Nerds: How Dorks, Dweebs, Techies, and Trekkies Can Save America and Why They Might Be Our Last Hope (David Anderegg)

And if you're curious, this is what I have read so far this summer. I recommend them both:
- The Big Bang Theory and Philosophy: Rock, Paper, Scissors, Aristotle, Locke (Dean Kowalski)
- The Social Animal (David Brooks)

Now I'm off to read and hopefully not melt in the lack of air conditioning in my room.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh hope you get into your grad school I love (/hate, but mostly love) doing my PhD. That's an ambitious list of books, quite a few of those I've been thinking of reading for a while. However I have a bad habit of starting a book and forgetting all about it, then starting another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dated a girl who read The Book Thief, she really enjoyed it. 11/22/63 is also on my summer reading list...let me know if/when you start it! (I should post my summer list as well - it's about as long as yours haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to read Lord of the Flies for the past 8 years or so...Every time I go on a trip/occassion for reading I usually end up picking up something by Jodi Picoult or Augusten Borroughs and just keep forgetting about it... Funny to see it pop up on your reading list, too, and I was just talking about it with someone yesterday (he has read it)! Let me know if it's good and/or a quick read!

    ReplyDelete