Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dreaming in dreams, or something else?

I found myself meandering through a carnival or flea market of sorts.  It was then that I had the realization there was something oddly familiar about the set-up where someone was selling bait for fishing.  As I waded through the mock pond he had on display, memories started coming back to me.

Sort of like the flashes on Lost.

It was then that I saw myself.  Not at my current age of 22, but maybe around 15.  It was like I was watching myself in this same situation.

Then I sat at a restaurant, in what looked like Union Station in Washington, D.C., eating dinner by myself.  I read a book as I ate, just keeping to myself.  I'm not sure why I was alone in this train station, but there I was.  Next thing I know, my waiter gave me an ice cream sundae the size of a basketball, saying it was free. I don't know how he expected me to eat all of that, so I politely refused it.

As I walked more through the flea market sort of setup, which I suppose was near the train station, I saw a picture of myself and some childhood friends at a sleepover.  The next thing I knew, I was at that sleepover.  Watching a little me, reading, as the other girls played with Barbies or who knows what.

Then I was at my aunt's old apartment.  It was similar to the one she had, but also had some stark differences.  The apartment had remained uninhabited after she passed away, that was evident as I entered it.  Where I had found the key is anyone's guess.

Tears fell as I looked around the apartment:  sheets and comforters were slowly being eaten away by moths, the beds still made.  It was eerie.  A few Christmas ornaments hung on the back of a chair.  Everything was left like it had been when she passed away.  Except it was so...different.  I didn't remember the art that was hanging, nor the other knick knacks.

Suddenly, I found myself at commencement.  It was at a completely different venue.  I saw myself talking to my dad, realizing it was 10 minutes before I had to be lined up, and I was in no way ready for the ceremony.  I was still in jeans and a t-shirt, not in my dress, cap and gown nowhere to be found.

And, then, at long last, something possessed me to wake up.  All of these mini dreams were ones I'd had before, apart for the last one, sometime in my life.  But this was different.  It was like seeing myself in these dreams and watching myself in them.  I have no idea what any of this means... I woke up very confused.

2 comments:

  1. That is so weird, but kind of cool. And neat that you remembered them. I often wake up, think "that was weird" and proceed to forget the dream.

    Over the course of the last four years, I've had a recurring dream about my high school Spanish class. Like, once every few months. It's weird, and I don't know why I have them. Our psyches are crazy places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flashes Before Your Eyes? I had crazy, disjoined dreams like this last night...dreams where you jump from venue to venue, the people and the places change faster than you can rationalize them. It's downright bizarre when it happens...but at least it was a crazy ride, right?

    ReplyDelete