Saturday, January 12, 2013

GA Search, Take II: The End Result

If you read Wednesday's entry, you learned that I had two graduate assistantship interviews at my university on Thursday. Well, needless to say, I received offers for both positions at the close of each interview (!).  After mulling over both offers, talking to Vic and some of my other friends, and weighing my options, I made a decision.  This upcoming summer and fall, I will be working in my university's Peer Mentoring Office.  It was definitely the better match of the two.

It is 20 hours a week, compared to 30, which is wonderful because I can work on the days I will be scheduling classes for; in addition to being much more manageable in the fall when I not only have classes, but also a practicum (basically an abbreviated internship).  I have been a Peer Mentor since 2010 and have had 3 wonderful proteges while in the program.  I felt as though I could not give the other position, my internship, and classes all of the attention they all deserve.  Another great thing about working with this office is that I am able to work between the end of the summer term and the start of the fall term and bank those hours to use in fall, which is awesome.

The director, assistant director, and secretary in the office I'll be working with are, in a word, fantastic.  I'm really looking forward to working with all of them, the peer mentor coordinators, mentors, and proteges.

And I'm not going to lie, I'm also really looking forward to getting back to school.  Don't get me wrong, I love the free food, home-cooked meals, laundry, and making $7.50 an hour part-time, but I miss seeing friends and spending time, playing video games, and watching movies with Vic.

There's also the fact that at home I share a bathroom with my 18 year old brother and 60 year old father and I'm the one who gets stuck cleaning it because they really couldn't care less.  Vic, I know you're probably reading this...so, thank you.  Thank you for not leaving my shower/bathroom disgusting at school when you use it.  I appreciate it more than you know.

These are the things I realize when I'm home for break, I suppose. That, and that my parents really need to organize their closet.  Apparently keeping the air mattress pump with the air mattress is a foreign concept.  I am also forever grateful for my mother for always harping on my about dental/oral health (she was a dental hygienist a long time ago, before she and my dad were married).  Apparently my kid brother has to have all sorts of dental work done because of some bone ailment with his teeth?

I don't know all of the details, nor do I care to, because that sort of stuff grosses me out.  The only dental work I've really had done are the extraction of two wisdom teeth a few summers ago and having braces in 4th/5th grade; because having glasses since the age of 5 isn't enough to deal with as a kid.  I joke, but seriously.  My eyes are worse than both of my parents', and I've been told that should I have children, their eyes should be checked starting at three.  Maybe it's a good thing Vic only wants kitties and a puppy, though we've discussed the idea of adoption.  Anyhow.

At least I'll know these things (such as staying organized and other things that probably seem ridiculous to me right now) for when I (officially) move out of my parents' house after graduation and that job search thing.  But I also know I won't be alone.  And that means more to me than anything.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment