Monday, January 21, 2013

Overprepared? Nah, just planning ahead...

Although my laundry needs washed and is currently strewn across my room, there is a bag of trash waiting to be taken to the basement, my bed is unmade and piled six blankets high (for some reason, it's been freezing in my room lately), the stinkbugs continue to infest my room, and I am nowhere near packed to go back to school on Wednesday... I'm okay with this.  Life has treating me really well these past few weeks and months.

I mentioned in my last entry that I accepted one of the graduate assistantships I interviewed for earlier this month.  I'm really excited to work with this office, but also can't believe that this semester will be my last semester working for residence life.  It's been a journey, that's for sure.

For the Master's program I'm enrolled in, I have to complete two internships.  One is about 100 hours, the other is 600.  Even though I won't be completing the first of these internship experiences until fall, I met with a school counselor who works at a school 2 traffic lights away from my house.  I can be there in 5-10 minutes, depending on traffic... And I don't have to be there until 8:15 every morning (I'm not a morning person, what can I say?).  I like to plan these things well in advance, thus why I met with her so early.

While meeting with her, I also got to meet and get an autograph from Bryan Trottier, who is a former Pittsburgh Penguin.  Apparently, he lives in the area and also shops where I work part-time.  He's a really nice guy, and very down to earth.  Speaking of the Penguins, two friends and I got to attend the Black and Gold game (which was a free scrimmage game).  We arrived at the door 5 minutes before puck drop, and told it was standing room only.  We didn't mind, as we just wanted to see the game.  Needless to say, we found that the arena decided to open up box/suite seats, and we promptly found ourselves there.  They were fantastic seats, and we had an amazing time.

My last day of work for winter break was yesterday.  Although I woke up 10 minutes before I had to leave, I still made it on time, even stopping at the gas station to fill the tank a bit and get coffee.  (Unfortunately, I bumped the side mirror on a pole at the gas station - you know, the ones that are supposed to prevent people from ramming their car/truck/boat/vehicle of choice into the store?  Oops.  On the plus side, it just has some minor scratches and residual paint.  Nothing noteworthy.  And my mom was very understanding.  Phew.)  Overall, it was a nice last day.  Not too busy, some pretty nice customers, and my managers who I worked with are awesome.

This morning, I woke up at 6:58, waited to schedule summer courses, got into all of them in 15 seconds (record time), shut my computer, and rolled over and went back to bed for another three hours.  I have courses in research, career counseling, psychology of growth and development, and tests/measurements (which I had a course on in undergrad, but that professor has since retired).

I go back to school Wednesday evening after my dad's township supervisor's meeting for the last ever CA training I'll attend.  I can't believe that it's coming to a close, but it's been a great one.

On Thursday night, Vic and I are having dinner together, and I can't wait.  It's been since New Year's Day since we've seen each other.  I can't believe we've been dating for almost a year (it will be in February).  He makes me the happiest girl in the world.  We're also going to DC for a few days over spring break to celebrate our one year and our birthdays, since my birthday is the week before spring break and his is the week after.  We went together in May, and I can't wait to go again.


  1. Wow heaps going on! Glad to see your life has been going so well lately :)

    1. Thanks! :) Life is pretty swell, I can't complain.