Thursday, January 3, 2013

What a Year for a New Year

Every year, I consider making a list of resolutions for the new year, but I know they won't last:  start going to bed earlier so I can in turn get up earlier, eat healthier (even at 5'2"-ish and ~100 pounds, junk food and I are good friends), stay organized, save more money, etc.  When it comes down to it, though, I just want to be a better me...

Appreciate the things and people I have in my life.

Support the people I love and care about.

Be the best girlfriend, friend, sister, and daughter I can be.

Write letters or call people on the phone instead of sending text messages and emails.

Send birthday cards to people instead of writing a generic message on their Facebook wall.

Discover who I really am.

Cut the negativity out of my life.

Be a force for change in my own life.

As I read over this list again, one thing hits me:  it's all really simple.  But I think simple is okay.  I don't have any far-reaching goals.  The main things I want out of my life are to be happy, help others find out who they really are, and to marry my best friend.  And in some way, I think that achieving the above will help me do all of those things and more.

Last year at this time, I thought I was moving half-way across the country for grad school (which obviously didn't happen).  I never imagined that I'd be right back where I started for school (but I couldn't be happier).

I never thought that I would be in love with my best friend.  But you know what?  I am.  And I couldn't be happier.  He's what puts the smile on my face, makes me laugh until I cry, and is the best part of my life and I never want that to change.  I love you, boo.  You're the best.  I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I also need to cut the negativity out of my life. I am an insanely jealous person and it just eats me alive.

    ReplyDelete